Pumpkinvine Cyclery was established in 2010, just as the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail was nearing completion in Middlebury. It is a full-service bike shop, offering everything from repairs to rentals, and an array of bikes, accessories and apparel.
For the first 6 years, it was located in a small shopping plaza on the north side of town, but in 2016 owners Spencer and Brittany Short purchased a building and moved to be across from the trail's most popular access point, the Middlebury Dairy Queen. It's proximity to local trails makes it a convenient hub for cyclists. Riders experiencing equipment issues can drop by for some on-the-spot repair, or people considering a new bike can do a quick test ride out on the trail and out of town guests can rent bikes for an afternoon with access to convenient parking and changing rooms.
Both Spencer & Brittany were raised in Middlebury, and ultimately graduated from Goshen College. Spencer has worked as a bike mechanic since 2004 and is an avid cyclist himself. Brittany serves on the Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail board as the Vice President and works with other community organizations to promote well connected parks and trails in Elkhart County.
Why Pumpkinvine Cyclery?
1. Service- The concept is simple, "Treat people as you wish to be treated". Whether you ride for fun and just need us to fix a flat tire, or you need maximum performance out of your gear for an upcoming Ironman, we're here to help. But ultimately, we're just a bunch of people who want to see other people having fun on bikes.
2. Convenience- We're so close to the Pumpkinvine Trail you could throw a football at it. If an issue comes up on your ride, just stop by and we will take a look at it! We know it's not always easy to drop your bike off for repair, so we also offer pick up and delivery service.
3. Lifetime Free Adjustments- All new bikes purchased from our shop have this added benefit. Additionally, your first Annual Tune-Up is free of charge (within the first year of ownership)!
4. We carry brands that stand behind YOU. We carry brands that deliver great warranty support, and work as hard as we do to promote and support healthy communities and a healthy cycling industry. If they don't work for you, they won't work for us.
5. Our Kids’ Bike Trade In & UP Program. When you buy a kid’s bike from us you have 4 years to trade it in for a larger size. At that time we will credit you 75% of the original purchase price to use towards a new, appropriately sized bike for your child. As long as it's rideable, and in one piece, there are no questions asked. Call around, it's the best in the area!
6. Our staff- Each staff member is an expert in their unique area of cycling. From industry certified mechanics, to Bike Fit certified staff members, we want to ensure that your bike fits you, and works at the top of its potential.
7. Community- We work hard to be on the front lines, caring for our local trails, creating new ones and make biking safer and better for everyone; colletively volunteering over 5 hours weekly to make our community better.